The French Academy offers a variety of classes for adults. The classes address various interests and proficiency levels. The following classes are now being offered.
French for Beginners
This conversational course presents everyday situations and covers basic and helpful vocabulary. It will enable you to speak essential French quickly and easily, including greetings, introduction and basic vocabulary. It is based on a series of dialogues. Though the focus will be on speaking, basic grammar, reading, and writing will also be covered to lay a strong foundation for the second level class. Some cultural context will be provided including a trip to a French restaurant.
French Level II
This course is designed for students who have already acquired some of basic language skills and want to improve their ability to speak. The class enhances conversational skills through dialogue. Class participation will be stressed for participation in everyday situations: Shopping, going to hotels, restaurants, family interaction and so on. Cultural facts will be discussed.
Some tips for a more successful class experience.
Adults learn very differently from children. Unlike children, adults like to understand the mechanics of what makes a language work – and we encourage that understanding.
We encourage all students to do a few simple things:
- Take 5 to 10 minutes a day to review the vocabulary learned during conversational sessions.
- Take a few minutes to review the verbs.
- Be patient. The lessons are established with a solid foundation of grammar and vocabulary.
- Learning French must remain pleasurable.
- Look at the materials covered in class, refine your accent during class and you will realize after a few sessions that with a basic vocabulary and some verbs, you will have the satisfaction to be able to introduce yourself to a stranger and order a dish in a restaurant in French.
For questions about our schedule, please e-mail Claudine Parloff at Claudine@thefrenchabc.com